WHO guidelines are to maintain at least 1. meter (feet) between fellow workers In Abu Dhabi distance of 1.5 Meter has been implemented. Where the food production environment makes it difficult to do so, employers need to consider what measures to put in place to protect employees. Examples of practical measures to adhere to physical distancing guidance in the food processing environment are to:
- stagger workstations on either side of processing lines so that food handlers are not facing one another;
- provide personal protection equipment (PPE) such as face masks, hair nets, disposable gloves, clean overalls and slip reduction work shoes for staff. The use of PPE would be routine in high risk areas of food premises that produce ready-to-eat and cooked foods. When staff are dressed in PPE it is possible to reduce distance between workers;
- space out workstations, which may require reduction in the speed of production lines;
- limit the number of staff in a food preparation area at the same time;
- organize staff into working groups or teams to facilitate reduced interaction between groups, including during change of work shifts.